Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2015

WSM 1

WSM stands for Wellness Self Management, the name of a workbook I am doing alongside my art therapy. Now, because of today's "lesson", I am sharing my progress through this work book with all of you. You get to hold me accountable, and my support team/group gets to hear any of the hard stuff that really isn't suitable for this blog.

So... Lesson 1. (3 weeks ago)

We covered the purpose of the workbook: to help me recover from the depression, anxiety, PTSD, and assorted other BS that is going on in my head. No, there's nothing wrong with being bipolar, but there is something wrong when I'm too messed up mentally (and physically) to hold any kind of stable employment. This workbook is supposed to help me learn how to cope with day to day stresses, as well as how to lean on support when it is needed. In total, there are 8 goals to the program.

  1. learning about recovery 
  2. making the best use of mental and physical health services
  3. learning how those services can help me achieve my goals
  4. staying well by decreasing symptoms
  5. learning how to manage stresses and prevent relapses (that long deep spiral, as I call it)
  6. learn how to connect with others (ewwww, I wanna be a loner!)
  7. learn how to live healthier (win the lotto?)
  8. recognizing and building on my cultural values and experiences 

I was told to choose which of those were most important to me. (Well how the fuck am I supposed to know? This is the first frikkin lesson!) I chose #'s 4,5, and 8. I was then promptly told that keeping my med clinic appointment would help with #4, #5 is helped with blogging (go figure), and taking nature walks MORE OFTEN helps with #8. (Kinda hard to go for walks when there are so few people HERE that I trust...)

At the end of every lesson there is a discussion point. Lesson 1's discussion;

How would accomplishing any of these goals make a difference in your life?

A difference? How the hell am I to know at this point? *shrugs* I guess maybe it'll make me better able to fake being normal. After all, that is the goal of all therapy, right? To learn how to blend in and fit the mold of what is and isn't acceptable? *shrugs* We'll see.

I do have high hopes for this. I hate being the way I am...

So, talk to me. If you are following along with this program too (and I encourage it if you aren't able to do therapy, but I encourage a professional to help you above all), which goals would you choose? Why? If not, then what goals do you think I should be paying more attention to? Why? Talk to me below...

No comments:

Post a Comment